12.19.2008

fripodding trailer trash 2

So my list continues of awesome movies in 3 minutes or less. Well, this post isn't, but the trailers are. They are like mini movies to get you all hyped up and excited to spend money in seeing the real thing. And sadly, sometimes you're better off seeing the trailer only. Other times, you know right away if you want to see a movie based on the trailer alone. (And for a buff like me, there are some movies that squeak by without me knowing until I see the trailer.)


This was almost one of those movies I mentioned above about hearing next to nothing about the movie UNTIL seeing the trailer first. But once I saw the trailer, I knew I had to see this. And I love this movie by the way. What I like about the trailer is the use of music. If you got a hot song (or songs) you might have it made. Just do me a favor... please include the song in the movie or on the soundtrack for us music fans. See some of the other titles below... Also note the way the plot is given to us so we know what we're getting into.


I don't know if I saw the movie or trailer first... but the trailer gives you the basics of what this movie is, yet you still see so much going on that it may draw some curiosity to check more into it. And you should, this a fun movie. Almost kinda random, but I like movies like that. I also like ensemble pieces.


Speaking of ensemble pieces. As I once mentioned, I'm 100% convinced that an anticipated movie is released when I see a trailer. I almost wet my pants when I saw this. (If you didn't already know, this is like one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time, paired with Ocean's Eleven of course... and Twelve just for box set's sake.) But I love seeing the stars that are featured in the movie and I have my own dreams of having a quick shot with "t. sterling watson" stylized next to my face while I'm doing or saying something.


Here is another hot track set to a bunch of action. Technically this one is a teaser, but who's counting? And this song is on the soundtrack. And this is another fun movie just as long as you don't take it seriously.


Okay... this is probably the runner up trailer and I'll explain why... It has so many elements of a trailer that I like--music, of course, is first. Quick note, it's because of this movie (the first 10 minutes or so) that introduced me to my all-time favorite idol Sam Cooke and some of his music is featured here. Anyway, later Moby's "Body Rock" is played, and that's not on the soundtrack but I believe it's in the movie. Next thing I like about this trailer is the drama it builds by the spoken one liners from the various characters. The slow motion. And one of my favorite parts is the camera flashes that show the captions and eventually reveals the title. That is something I want to do myself with a movie trailer. But back to the build drama until the title is revealed. I've watched some trailers that would've been more effective (for me personally) had they built it up. But this trailer? I love it. The movie I also like too...

But my #1 favorite trailer to date...

I almost want to hold off until next week, but I won't. Just in case I let some people down and they say, "you picked that?" Again, this is based on the trailer alone, not the movie. Because most times, most people see the trailer first anyway, and that's what happened to me for this one. I also grew to appreciate this movie after seeing it... but it all started with this:

Can I say it? Orgasmic! A feast for the eyes. Dramatic blacks and whites mixed with color when appropriate. And the MUSIC! It's the instrumental version of The Servant's - Cells which isn't a bad song. At one time I had both versions. But for me, this song MADE this trailer. And there is a longer trailer which is slightly different but I'm glad still included the song. But I like this version so much better. I love it when it's almost like it's a music video. Kinda. It's timed so perfectly with the clips of the movie and introductions of the main characters, then the spoken lines from some of those characters, then the montage of actors in the film all building up to a final line and the reveal of the title. Then the inevitable... coming soon.

No comments: