2.18.2009

dreams of anti-fame

I was reading about the dreams of aspiring screenwriters who want to make it big in Hollywood... as well as some money figures of what some screenplays sell for - even the ones that's don't get made. And to be completely honest, those figures I saw, even the so-called "modest" amounts, looked quite alright with me. But between that and reading an article about a soon-to-be-watched documentary called Dreams on Spec, I read some line about struggling to be "the next big thing." And I thought that line... and it got me thinking-I don't necessarily want to be the next big thing. I just want to be something. I indeed, want to be successful and content, but I don't want the glitz and glam. I'm still going to shop at The Mart and eat at IHOP. But, perhaps, I think it all depends on your definition of success. Anyway, I was stuck on the phrase "next best thing" and jotted some lines down as I thought about it.

I don't want to be the next big thing.
I just want to be something.
Not just anything, but a mix of everything.
They'll say "He's doin' his thing."

I'm completely aware that being a screenwriter isn't a profession that would make me an instant multi-millionaire (unless I'm directing, starring, etc.), but I just want to get by. Not only that, I just want to be really good at it too. So I continue my learning and studying. I haven't been aggressive in this passion the past few days due to some other concerns (like vacation planning), but rest assured, my dream won't be deterred. Oooh! Another hot line! [Scribbles in notebook.]

3 comments:

Melissa Donovan said...

I think the most important thing you said was that you want to be good at it. What you wrote could be the lyrics to a hit song, of that I'm certain.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Melissa: Let's rock the F out to your song.

What a beautiful post you have written here.

I feel the same way. No matter what, I will always be lookin' for the cheapy sales and bargains... I don't need to be some big thing, just a SOMEthing, yes, absolutely. I hate the thought of doing NOthing -- can't live like that. I must be a part of the world and give back some of what has been given to me.

:-p)

t.sterling said...

Thank you both for that encouragement for a hit song. After I read that the other night, I thought about it and for once, I managed to come up with a beat and some music--something I have a really difficult time doing on my own. I don't remember it now, but I'm sure I could come up with something just as good again.

But I can't sit around not doing anything either, and I find it much more satisfying working with a group to accomplish something. And just the feeling of accomplishment of anything is reward enough!