11.07.2008

fripodding and celebrating like a champion

Where to begin in the epic story of the week that was?

First of all, I must say that last Halloween was a blast for me, doing my annual DJ gig, playing good music for 3-4 hours straight for kids and adults to have fun to. The Jackson 5 was revisted. Pictures were taken, but I wasn't in any of them, so I won't share them. Don't get a hissy fit with me! I'm important too, ya know. Plus, I need a new MySpace picture, especially with me in action. I was Tito.

Monday I had computer issues. I had to upgrade a program I use for work. Sadly, it wasn't working, therefore I couldn't work. It was bittersweet. It gave me time to rewatch what may now be my favorite foreign film The Man Who Copied. If you've never heard of it, I suggest you Netflix it immediately. It hails from Brazil and stars Leandra Leal whom I've developed a hopeless crush over. I actually should dedicate a post for the movie alone. Anyway, I watched it a couple times picking up things I never noticed before as well as being re-inspired to fulfill my dream in wanting to tell the world stories through my writing and eventual filmmaking. My computer program finally worked correctly eventually, so that's great.

Tuesday. I said it before, I'm a news junkie. CNN.com is a friend on my work computer. I couldn't stop checking it all day long. I don't know why. I did my vote thing around 10ish. No lines. Awesome. A cute girl was working there, but no game was played. It's hard to do moves when you're with you mom, plus I think it would just annoy the worker. I really wanted to go back home anyway. After work, I ran out to rent some movies because I couldn't imagine watching the news from 7PM until who knew when. Even I need a break sometime. But my dad and I kept tabs on our laptops while we watched movies. Then my dad channel surfed until I decided to go to my room to watch Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert tell me the Earth-shattering news. I wish I was at someone's party or out in the streets. I really did. This needs a post all it's own, which I sort've addressed Tuesday night. But this can lead into today's friPod's iPick.

I've actually been waiting to talk about this song for a while. But after Tuesday, the message behind this song is clear: Kanye West's "Champion." I'm just going to throw this out now, as of today, I don't care too much for his new toy he likes to use in his songs. But hey, the same thing happened when music video directors discovered the fish-eye lense. And bullet-time. I still like bullet-time though.

I don't care much for the video, however it is very creative with Kanye as a puppet training to be a champion. Once again, I'd post it, but embedding is disabled. Watch and listen to the video here.

I actually made a playlist with iSaac featuring Champion-esque song. But this song is very uplifting, inspiring and empowering for me. It keeps me ambitious and working hard to achieve greatness. Furthermore, as the chorus suggest: did you realize that you were a champion in their eyes? And yes, after much reminding, I did realize that. And the eyes are those of children, peers and my family whom support me. So this song is a reminder as to who I'm working for, so to speak. Would you like to see the Champion Playlist? It's not long, and by no means is it complete. I don't think an average playlist is complete until you can fit it into a CD. Unless its for a specific event... like a 3-5 hour Halloween party. iSaac actually has the playlist called "champion beats" since I built the list on strong bass and/or drumlines. Not all of them had champion messages though*. Regardless--
  1. Champion Requiem - Mos Def
  2. Champion - Kanye West
  3. Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield
  4. We Want Your Soul - Andre 3000*
  5. I Need You - Alicia Keys*
  6. Hostile Gospel Pt. 2 - Talib Kweli
  7. Grammy Family - Consequence feat. DJ Khaled, Kanye West & John Legend
Like I said, it's a short playlist and I haven't added to it... yet. But that's what keeps me in a champion mind set, and Kanye is a good role model for that. Interestingly enough, he has a connection to every artist on that playlist. But we'll play that game another day.

Lastly, there's a poem I've been working on that also deal with the champion theme, but unfortunately I didn't finish it in time to go along with this post. Nevertheless, when it's complete, I shall make it known and also restate a revised playlist, hopefully.

Happy Friday all.

2 comments:

Melissa Donovan said...

I admire you for being able to tear yourself away from the news on Tuesday long enough to watch a movie. I had to do a little work, but once that was out of the way, it was CNN all night long. What a night!

Anonymous said...

Well just doing any work at all was a struggle. There was just so much excitement in the air and I couldn't wait for the first polls to close. But after realizing the real news wouldn't happen til later, it was agreed a movie would be played until it was the real showdown. ...That's when I returned to CNN, Comedy Central and a few other channels to see how they'd react to the breaking news.