10.07.2008

books? what the stank are those?

So I stole this from my good friend Melissa whom I keep stealing things from... I blame her, it's all her fault. But this is about books. All about books. I want people to know I do read occasionally... But let me remind you, its occasionally. Plus you guys know me, my thing is cinema. But as a writer, I know the more you read, the better writer you'll be. It's gotta be true, my hero Sam Cooke said it!

What was the last book you bought?
Literally, it just came in the mail: The Purpose Driven Life and a supplimental book to that called Daily Inspirations.

Name a book you have read MORE than once
Superfudge... But for something more grown up, I "read" The Purpose Driven Life via audio tapes/CDs.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
Again, Purpose Driven Life and 23 Minutes in Hell.

How do you choose a book - eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews
Let the record show, I'm not an avid book reader. So I used to read when required (in school) but lately, if a book arouses my interest based on description/summary, I'll possibly pick it up. Reviews and recommendations help a lot. But usually, it's my own interest in seeking the book out.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
Hard to say. Two out of the three books are self-help/DIY/instructional... But one of them is non-fiction. Past books I bought we novelized screenplays... So perhaps it'd be fiction?

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
Plot. You can lost in beautiful writing and have no clue what happened for an entire chapter.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
Farley Drexel aka Fudge from Superfudge.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?
There's a sketch book on my make-shift night stand. Half of my bed also acts as a night stand, and yesterday I had Illustrations for Biblical Preaching and that's still there now, but I added Playing the Harminca (which has been living in my bookbag) and Our Uncle Sam (which I bought a month ago and only read pieces).

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?
In it's entirety--23 Minutes in Hell and I finished that about three-four months ago. I've started three since then that I haven't finished.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
Yes. I tried reading a Sherlock Holmes novel. Didn't finish it. I tried reading Lord of the Flies. I lost interest. And I was supposed to read that for school. Guess what, I still passed that test with flying colors. WOOT! WOOT!

1 comment:

Melissa Donovan said...

Yes, it's all my fault! So sorry... I remember Superfudge. Those Judy Blume books were the best back in the day. Now I can't even remember most of them. Hey, keep reading, alright?