10.20.2008

"the night we ruled the world"

'Tis a new week. I feel good. I feel pumped. Perhaps this is the week I'm back on my game destroying these files and ranking in the high numbers. Taking back my imaginary invisible crown I pretend I don't like to wear. I wouldn't wear it either, I'd just hang it somewhere so no one would even know I have it. I like to let my work stand out. But I desire some BK French toast sticks first.

In completely non-office related news, I had a long discussion with an old friend, er, brother from Purchase on Friday night... or Saturday morning. It inspired me, no, propelled me to publish a poem I had written but never typed. Due to where it's published, I'm not going to display it here on the blog and I'll make you use the link to read it. It's on Behance, since it's such an awesome site and all, I like to plug where credit is due.

Anyway, I actually wrote this poem while I was at work one day (still in the office at the time) and had Coldplay's Viva la Vida on repeat for who knows how long. But the song was motivation for the inspiration of this poem about my friend, who I reigned as an outlaw king with, on a starry night on campus. (If you've never heard the song, give it a listen, and if you can help it, listen to it while you read the poem.) There's lot of metaphors galore and surrealistic images about in the poem and tells an abstract true story. It's a poem that's really meant for him, but appeals or relates to those who went to Purchase too. I could imagine a lot of my friends having a similar experience to what I portray. One friend has already revealed they truly felt the message I delivered. But I can completely understand if you have no idea about this college, or the relationship my friend and I had, and this one kinda goes over your head. This is just my disclaimer in saying, this one might not be for you. But if you "get it" and enjoy it, then that's awesome! Welcome to a slice of Purchase life. And even if you don't really get it, at least enjoy the imagery I paint. Without further adieu, I present The Night We Ruled the World.

Special shout outs to the Dagger and Magz.

1 comment:

Melissa Donovan said...

Your poem brings back a lot of memories - staying up late, having breakfast at the end of a long night, and yes, ruling the world! I do remember.