4.22.2008

Earth Day

So it's Earth Day again... and some have heard me predict this time around, people will actually care. This makes Al Gore happy.

Am I do anything special for Earth Day? Earth no! Why the earth should I when we are supposed to be doing the whole "going green" thing everyday? It's like showing love to your brethren and fellow man only on Christmas. I actually watched a Netflixed episode of the late animated cartoon Dilbert... yes based on the comic strip. Well this particular episode was titled "Holiday" and Dilbert complains how there are too many holidays at his job which means no one will ever get any work done. Although I do wonder if anyone works at that place besides him. And it's apparent why the animated series didn't last very long--the jokes are a little too complex. But then again so is the comic strip. At least I get those jokes. I gave up on Cathy years ago.

But we're talking about Earth Day. All the years before I remembered everyone-men and women, boys and girls, of all ages, races, walks-of-life--all holding hand and wearing matching white T-shirts with giant globes plastered on them and doing community service like picking up trash or planting a tree. And that was it. You might be lucky to see the same kind of Earth-P.D.A. around Arbor Day, which to me is a joke. A holiday for trees. Why not a holiday for grass? Dirt? Water? Air? Sunlight! Oh wait, that might be Sunday... Which, oddly enough, isn't always a sunny day. I think I'm thinking a wee bit too deeply about this all, because I feel the next step would be worshiping these natural things... which I know some people do anyway, but to some it's considered paganism.

I can't stay on topic today. I think I just wanted to say "I told you so" to those I told that Earth Day '08 will be one of the more biggerer Earth Days that we've had. I don't remember any concerts going on last year. We, they had the Live 8... But that wasn't for Earth Day.

Moral of this story - go outside. Play in the dirt like you were 9. Plant a tree, or a flower, or reseed my lawn with some thick and lush grass. Do it for the Earth. But do it EVERYDAY! Not just today.

No comments: