8.07.2008

building a dream

A couple days ago I was chatting with my cousin about building my studio and what I'd like to see done to it. In my mind, equipment-wise, it starts with the camera and a Mac. Specifically a Mac because what it's capable of doing with video processing and all that good stuff. Yes, I used to be a hater of Macs... which is wrong. It's like being prejudice... Like a Macist or something. But after using them while at school, I wished I had one sooner. I still love my PC, especially my Toshiba Silver Station... But the Mac will be one of the main hardware for the heavy stuff 3S:FX will produce, while my Toshiba laptop will handle lighter but still highly significant tasks like scripts, web surfing, maybe it will share in the music handling, and of course... blogging! ;o)

Since I now have a camera, even though it's not the best, it will get the job done. Sadly I can't connect it to my laptop with what technology I currently have, but it's ok. After I get the Mac, I should be set. Well, for a start. And I'm thinking I'd prefer something like an iMac. I thought about about laptop, but I think I'd rather have it one place, so I can settle down into my studio atmosphere and get to work. No need to tell me all the fun I could have bringing my work with me via laptop, but that's what the Silver Station is for. It's the #1 warrior in my creative hardware arsonal.

Down the road, microphones are on my list. All kinds. Oh, and wires and battries and tapes and DVDs (eventually filters and lens and other little gadgets) and bags to carry all this stuff. Eventually a man-servent will be added to the list. But yeah, microphones would be next. Then lights. Those are expensive. But I'd get a light set, like what photographers use. Technically, I'm taking pictures. And it's only until I can afford better or more lights. And I don't see myself giving or selling too much stuff unless I absolutely don't need it or won't use it and know it can go to a better cause.

Of course at some point I'd hope to be making money so that would help in my funding. I would possibly take on side projects unless the project of my choice is actually paying. But starting small, I don't mind not getting paid for the work, especially if it's work that I love.

Even though I'll be working at home in the next few weeks, it'd be awesome to work at home and be my own boss, then eventually have my own studio/office. That'd be cool.

I keep typing to give my phone time to send the pictures I took of my desk and it's taking f o r e v e r. I do not like it.


....Finally. This is before my desk...




And here is after...




So now my family won't feel like I'm being antisocial since this room is located directly next to the living room. It's a plus for me because during the day I can listen to the TV.
My desk is still pretty empty, even though I'm using it as I write now... It needs the stuffs that my desk at work has. I can't wait.

3 comments:

Melissa Donovan said...

Your studio sounds fantastic! It's always nice to create a fresh new workspace. I recently reorganized my office and am feeling a lot better and more productive, so it definitely helps.

Melissa Donovan

Kim said...

lol...Macist...lol...yea like i said b4 those are some amazing plans and its gonna be so awesome seeing that start and then the finished product. I want to help you with that eventually.
i wonder what that desk will look like with work stuff on it..lol

t.sterling said...

@melissa
I'm liking my new office workspace right now, even though it's for my job. I won't be working there forever, and for that matter, this won't be my work area forever either. Are you going to post pictures of this workspace you are so productive in? I'm looking for ideas and I'm not interested in tuning into HGTV anytime soon.

@kim
well when I see an opening for help, I shall give you a call. And you can belive I will have postings of progress, which honestly, I'll never see stopping. Maybe I might have a final office, but for now, this is a semi-home base. As for my desk... it's looking used. As long as I'm sitting at it, like now.