7.24.2008

being black on CNN

I was asked if I watched the CNN special about being black in America. I said no. Honestly, I had forgotten all about it even though the person reminded me the day before with an email.

From the beginning, I didn't plan much to "attend" the event in front of my TV. It's not that I don't appreciate my heritage or care about my people, it's just that sometimes I feel over-saturated with pro-blackness and hearing stories of overcoming struggles and beating the odds as a person of color. Again, I support them and I'm glad and proud of my race. i jsut feel there are mroe important issues at hand. Maybe a special on those struggling with the economy, the poor folk, or the homeless. And not the recent poor folk and homeless either.

I know there are some documentaries out there that discuss those other issues, but they don't get much advertisement much less airplay, so no one really knows. And it's too bad.

I think I might enjoy a series of these specials, like being Asian in America, or Hispanic in America... and of course, being of Middle Eastern decent in America. It would paint more colors on the canvas that is America. Will it happen? Who knows? In the meantime, I like to strive more on the diverse culture and if I can help it, mix as much cultures as I can in any productions I have control over to do that. It's like that in real life, at least mine. So why not in the media?

I will watch the black special eventually. They do like to show them repeatedly like MTV does their award shows and VH1 does the I Love... shows which I'm still upset with until they let me on one of them. I'm still mad they did a millennium addition when there is 2 years left. C'mon now. I hope something huge happens that will make the producers be like "Wow, we should've waited." But we all know what's going to happen. 2010 or 2011 they will make I Love the Millennium 2.0. You heard/read it here first, folks! I called it! That also means I have 2-3 years to at least get on the E or D-list so I can be considered to be on the show. No offense to the contributors on the show now. At least they are on it.

No comments: